Week 1: Introduction¶
Tuesday, January 24, 2023
- The whole website. Every word.
Thursday, January 26, 2023
- Steve Stern, “The Tricks of Time: Colonial Legacies and Historical Sensibilities in Latin America,” The Princeton University Library Chronicle 57.3 (Spring 1996), pp. 371-392.
DUE: One paragraph précis on Stern.
Week 2: Theory and Practice of Sport History¶
Tuesday, January 31, 2023
- Allen Guttmann, “Play, Games, Contests, Sports” From Ritual to Record: The Nature of Modern Sports (New York: Columbia University Press, 2004).
- Barbara Keyes, “Senses and Emotions in the History of Sport,” Journal of Sport History, 40.1 (Spring 2013), pp. 21-38
Thursday, February 2, 2023
- Joseph L Arbena “The Later Evolution of Modern Sport in Latin America: The North American Influence”, The International Journal of the History of Sport, 18:3 (2001), 43-58.
- J.A. Mangan, “The Early Evolution of Modern Sport in Latin America: A Mainly English Middle-Class Inspiration?” The International Journal of the History of Sport, 18:3 (2001), 9-42.
DUE: Research memo on Arbena or Mangan.
Week 3: Premodern Sport, Ritual, and Leisure¶
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
- Alejandro Martínez Muriel and Emilie Carreón Blaine, “Santa Rosa, Chiapas: Human Sacrifice and the Mesoamerican Ballgame,” pp 211-230 in Boxt, Matthew A. , Dillon, Brian B., Carrasco, Davíd, eds. Fanning the Sacred Flame. Boulder: University of Colorado Press, 2012.
- José Antonio Funes-Pérez, Juan Rodríguez-López & Alfonso Manas “Medieval Córdoba: From Umayyad Recreations to Competitive Christian Sport,” The International Journal of the History of Sport, 33:10 (2016), 1009-1027.
Thursday, February 9, 2023
- Jorge Cañizares-Esguerra, "SPANISH DECK," in New World Objects of Knowledge: A Cabinet of Curiosities, editors Mark Thurner and Juan Pimentel. London: University of London Press, Institute of Latin American Studies, 2021.
- Isabelle Schürch, "Spectacular Spanish Horses in New Spain," International Journal of the History of Sport 37:3-4 (2020): 288-303.
DUE: Using this week's readings, write a one page paper explaining the difference between pre-modern sport and modern sport.
Week 4: Transitions I - the 19th century¶
Tuesday, February 14, 2023
- Victor Andrade de Melo, "Horses, Bulls, and Bodies: The Formation of the Sport Field in Rio de Janeiro," Journal of Sport History 40.3 (Fall 2013): 377-383.
Thursday, February 16, 2023
- William Beezley, "Bicycles, Modernization, and Mexico" in Joseph L. Arbena, ed. Sport and Society in Latin America: Diffusion, Dependency, and the Rise of Mass Culture. New York: Greenwood Press, 1988.
DUE: Research memo on Beezley.
Week 5: Transitions II - the New Century¶
Tuesday, February 21, 2023
- Joshua Nadel, Fútbol!, Introduction and Chapter 1.
Thursday, February 23, 2023
- Raanan Rein, “People of the Book or People of the (Foot)Ball? On the Pitch with Fans of Atlanta in Buenos Aires,” in Sheinin, Sports Culture in Latin American History.
DUE: Mexican Sportsman Paper
Week 6: Populism, Sport, and Nation I¶
Tuesday, February 28, 2023
- Gregg P. Bocketti, “Italian Immigrants, Brazilian Football, and the Dilemma of National Identity,” Journal of Latin American Studies 49.2 (May 2008): 275-302.
Thursday, March 2, 2023
- Rwany Sibaja, "Anxiety in the Sports Pages: The 'Crises' Narratives of 1950s Argentine Fútbol," The International Journal of the History of Sport 37:5-6 (2020): 357-377.
DUE: Research memo on Sibaja.
Week 7: Populism, Sport, and Nation II¶
Tuesday, March 7, 2023
- Brenda Elsey, “The Independent Republic of Football: The Politics of Neighborhood Clubs in Santiago, Chile, 1948-1960,” Journal of Social History 42.3 (Spring 2009): 605-630.
Thursday, March 9, 2023
- Lindsey Barrett, Colby Leachman, Claire Lockerby, Steven McMullen, Matthew Schorr, Yuriy Veytskin, “The Soccer War,” at Soccer Politics Pages, https://sites.duke.edu/wcwp/research-projects/the-soccer-war/ (This is a very well done undergrad project.)
DUE: Research memo on Elsey.
Week 8: Spring Break!!¶
Week 9: Boxing and Race¶
Tuesday, March 21, 2023
- Enver M. Casimir, “Contours of Transnational Contact: Kid Chocolate, Cuba, and the United States in the 1920s and 1930s,” Journal of Sport History, 39.3 (2012): 487-506.
Thursday, March 23, 2023
DUE: Research memo on Casimir.
Week 10: Biésbol/Baseball¶
Tuesday, March 28, 2023
- Roberta Park, “From La Bomba to Béisbol: Sport and the Americanization of Puerto Rico, 1898-1950,” International Journal of the History of Sport 28.17 (2011): 2575-2593.
Thursday, March 30, 2023
- Discussion of Burgos for your book review.
DUE: Book review
Week 11: Olympics 1968¶
Tuesday, April 4, 2023
- Eric Zolov, “Showcasing the ‘Land of Tomorrow’: Mexico and the 1968 Olympics,” The Americas 51.2 (2004): 159-188.
Thursday, April 6, 2023
- Celeste González Bustamante, “1968 Olympic Dreams and Tlatelolco Nightmares: Imagining and Imaging Modernity on Television,” Mexican Studies/Estudios Mexicanos, 26.1 (2010): 1-30.
DUE: Drawing on this week's articles, write one page on the impact of media on the 1968 Olympics.
Week 12: Military Dictatorships and the Political Use of Sport¶
Tuesday, April 11, 2023
- Euclides de Freitas Couto “Football, Control and Resistance in the Brazilian Military Dictatorship in the 1970s,” The International Journal of the History of Sport (2014) 31:10, 1267-1277.
Thursday, April 13, 2023
- Jennifer L. Schaefer, “Mapping Politics into the Stadium: Political Demonstrations and Soccer Culture in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1973–74,” Journal of Sport History, 44:2 (2017): 193-208.
DUE: Research memo on de Freitas Couto.
Week 13: Women Play Too¶
Tuesday, April 18, 2023
- Elsey and Nadal Futbolera.
Thursday, April 20, 2023
DUE: Write a one page response to Futbolera.
Week 14: Global Sport Capitalism¶
Tuesday, April 25, 2023
- Tim Walters, "'Another World (Cup) is Possible!': Twenty Theses About Modern Football," in Brenda Elsey and Stanislao G. Pugliese, ed., Football and the Boundaries of History: Critical Studies in Soccer, New York: Hofstra Universitiy and Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.
Thursday, April 27, 2023
- Jason R. Old, "Transnational Surfistas and the Development of Nicaragua's Emerald Coast," The International Journal of the History of Sport 38:8 (2021): 829-848.
DUE: Write a one-page response to Walters.
Week 15: Capoeira and Jujitsu¶
Tuesday, May 2, 2023
- Katya Wesolowski, “From ‘Moral Disease’ to ‘National Sport’: Race, Nation, and Capoeira in Brazil,” in Sheinin, Sports Culture in Latin American History.
Thursday, May 4, 2023
- José Cairus, "Nationalism, Immigration and Identity: The Gracies and the Making of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, 1934-1943," Marital Arts Studies 9 (2020): 28-42.
- Listen to 30 for 30 podcast Season 2 Episode 2 on the birth of the UFC.
Week 16: Wrap Up¶
Tuesday, May 9, 2023
Final Essay and Self Evaluation Due: May 16th.