Schedule and Readings
Pdfs are available here.
Week One – Course Introduction (Jan 11)
- Film: Columbus Didn’t Conquer Us (1992)
Week Two – Paradigms of Conquest (Jan 18)
- Lockart, James. “The Social History of Early Latin America: Evolution and Potential,” pp. 28-80 in Of Things of the Indies.
- Restall, Matthew. “A History of the New Philology and the New Philology in History.” Latin American Research Review 38, no. 1 (2003): 113-34. Restall, Matthew. “The New Conquest History,” History Compass (2012).
- Stern, Steve. “Paradigms of Conquest: History, Historiography, and Politics. Journal of Latin American Studies, Vol. 24 (1992), 1-34.
Week Three – Chronicles I - Mexico (Jan 25)
- Bernal Diaz, The History of the Conquest of New Spain
- Lockhart, We People Here: Nahuatl Accounts of the Conquest of Mexico
Week Four – Chronicles II - Peru (Jan 30)
- Cieza de León, The Discovery and Conquest of Peru
- Titu Cusi, History of How the Spaniards Arrived in Peru
Week Five – Prescott (Feb 8)
- Prescott, History of the Conquest of Peru
Week Six – Social History I – Peru (Feb 15)
- Lockhart, The Men of Cajamarca
Week Seven – no class (Feb 22)
Week Eight – Social History II – Yucatan (Mar 1)
- Clendennin, Ambivalent Conquests
Week Nine – Demography (Mar 8)
- Cook, Born to Die
PAPER ONE DUE!!!
Week Ten – Spring Break (Mar 15)
Week Eleven – New Conquest History I – Perspective (Mar 22)
- Matthew and Oudijk, eds. Indian Conquistadors: Indigenous Allies in the Conquest of Peru
- Lockhart, Sousa, Wood, eds. Sources and Methods for the Study of Postconquest Mesoamerica
Week Twelve – New Conquest History II – Guatemala (Mar 29)
- Asselsbergs, Conquered Conquistadors
- Matthew, Memories of Conquest
Week Thirteen – Malintzin (Apr 5)
- Townsend, Malintzin’s Choices
- Brimingham-Pokorny, Elba D. “La Malinche: A Feminist Perspective on Otherness in Mexican and Chicano Literature.” Confluencia 11:2 (Spring 1996).
- Paz, Octavio. The Labyrinth of Solitude: Life and Thought in Mexico. New York: Grove Press, Inc., 1961. (Chapter 4 “The Sons of La Malinche”)
PAPER TWO DUE!!!
Week Fourteen – Frontiers (Apr 12)
- Weber, The Spanish Frontier in North America
Week Fifteen – Iberian Atlantic (Apr 19)
- Cañizares-Esguerra, Puritan Conquistadors
- Heany, Christopher. “A Peru of their Own: English Grave-Opening and Indian Sovereignty in Early America.” William and Mary Quarterly 73.4 (2016).
Week Sixteen – Empire (Apr 26)
Kamen, Empire: How Spain Became a World Power, 1492-1763
FINAL PAPER DUE MAY 3rd!!!